FC Dynamo Kyiv head coach Mircea Lucescu answered journalists’ questions at the press conference before the Champions League group stage matchday 6 away game against SL Benfica.
- Has the match against Veres on rough turf influenced players’ fitness?
- The flight delay has influenced it more. We’ve spent 12 hours on the road. I hope today players have had rest and reconditioned.
- It’s not that common for Ukrainian league to end the first part of the season this late. How do you motivate players before final matches of the year?
- Last year we finished the first part of the season at the same time. After the Champions League game we’ll have one more UPL match. I hope guys will take that as professionals. I hope they’ll keep featuring the way they did before in the competition. We did a good job in two games against Barcelona and home match against Bayern. We deserved more.
- Will Dynamo be able to play against Benfica the way Sporting did in the previous Portuguese league match?
- Every game has its story. It was a Lisbon derby. Sporting won deservedly. They scored the early opener which was vital. Benfica had to attack to equalize.
Tomorrow we’ll have a different match. Benfica need to win, so they’ll dominate and maintain possession. We shouldn’t let them do it.
- Some say this Dynamo team has reached its peak. Are you able to continue the progress?
- This is the second year these guys play together. Decent games against Barcelona and Bayern prove we’re on the right track. I think we could win the home match against Benfica, but were a bit unlucky.
- Benfica need to win to continue the Champions League campaign. What kind of Dynamo shall we see tomorrow?
- I guess Benfica will try to score early in the game to control the situation afterwards. They’ll aim to win, especially after defeat in the derby. This is the last Champions League group stage game, so I think Benfica will start it actively.