FC Dynamo Kyiv head coach Mircea Lucescu answered media questions at the press conference before the Champions League group stage matchday 1 game against SL Benfica:
- Will you focus on Roman Yaremchuk, who scores regularly for the club and the national team?
- They also have Ramos, Nunez, Seferovic. I don’t know who takes the field, but that doesn’t matter. I don’t know if Yaremchuk is going to play. Benfica are having successful times. They’re domestic league leaders and have good gaffer, who’s been working on this level for 20-25 years. His teams always fight for top spots. If I’m not mistaken, he used to win the league with Flamengo. Besides he did a good job in Al Hilal and Sporting.
We’re in for tough game against very good team. We hope a lot of fans will come to the stadium to help us. Almost all Benfica players have significant European and international experience. These are Otamendi, Vertongen, Joao Mario, Pizzi, Seferovic. Our players, especially youngsters, are very enthusiastic. Last year we performed in the Champions League after five-year break, but now we must aim for more.
-Is Buialskyi ready to play tomorrow?
- I haven’t decided yet. He had the first session with the team yesterday. But I know him. If he takes the field, he’ll do the best he can.
- How does Karavayev feel after criticism from Ukraine national team head coach?
- Professional players must be able to go cope with tough situations. They need to be mentally strong. If you stay in the past, you can’t move forward. So, Karavayev doesn’t have any problems with that.
- What can you tell about adaptation of Vitinho and Shkurin?
- Every Brazilian player needs time to get accustomed as everything is different here. New life, new mentality. In Shakhtar, my Brazilian performers didn’t start playing at once. Well, except for Ilsinho, who was quite experienced. Eventually they started playing, but not because money was paid for them. They played when they deserved that. Vitinho is a good young player, but he needs time for adaptation. His time will come.
As for Shkurin, he also needs time, but I like the way he plays. He’s a dynamic performer. We’re also looking forward to return of Ramirez to see how he can benefit us.